Introduction

WELCOME! I've been cycling through the Southeast Valleys of Wales since 2010 and I can't say (or show) enough about the place. I just love it. So if you've got the interest and would like to spend some time... sit back and let me show you some of the fabulous places I've discovered.

Wednesday, 2 March 2016

55 FOR 55 EVENT 
Day 01 - In Like a Lion!


Ride Report
Date: March 01, 2016
Distance: 55.9 miles
Elevation: + 2977 / - 2976 ft
Ride Time: 05:42:52
Weather: Rain, Sun, Cloud
Temperature: 6℃ / 43℉
... and so it began; on a cold and windy morning - pelting with rain. Deano rode his bike over to join me for the start of my event and first day of my 55 for 55. It was great to have him join me and despite the weather, we both were excited.

We left my house promptly at 9:00 am, but took our time riding... no need to beat ourselves up when Mother Nature was doing it for us. Within 10 minutes on the road we were fairly well soaked. I find it's a slow slog in the rain anyway and I've got a few of miles to cover over the next 55 days. I need to pace myself carefully. (55 days at 55 miles each = 3,025... just in case you're wondering!)

And perseverance was our friend this morning for by the time we reached Pontypool (12 miles) the rain had slacked off to a mere drizzle. The skies began to brighten as we headed through Little Mill and quite shockingly, the sun actually came out with large areas of blues skies peeking through the broken clouds as we sailed across the bridge and into Usk (20 miles). Fabulous!


We were rewarded with a second treat too, for as we rode up to the Green Flute there were three of the Kingfishers standing in the car park to greet us! It was simply wonderful to see them waving and clapping and cheering as we cycled up in the bright sunshine. I am indeed honoured to know these fine gentlemen and call them my friends.


The sun felt great as we made our way to Caerleon and it was wonderful to have our clothes dry out as we pedaled along. There was no rush so and we had a very relaxing ride... taking time to shoot some photos and admire the lovely countryside.




Of course, this is Wales and the weather changes very quickly. By the time we got to the Celtic Manor Golf Course, the clouds rolled in again as did the rain...


Coming up through Sirhowy Parc is a relaxing "next-to-last" leg of the route. It's a well earned reward of four quiet miles before hitting the road through Pontllanfraith and Blackwood. Even a little drizzle ain't too bad and with less than 10 miles to go... I'm almost home.




What a great day. Thank you Dean for joining me, for taking all of the photos shown above... it was perfect to have you along for the start. (Please join me anytime!) Thank you Kingfishers for meeting us in Usk. It is wonderful to have your support and encouragement. Thank you everyone who has donated money to my efforts and Parkinson's UK. You ROCK! So many people have shared their excitement and disbelief at this crazy event... Thank you, thank you, thank you.




Photo of the Day - 01 March, 2016

Looking out over the River Usk just below Llantrisant.