Introduction

Welcome friends. This humble blog is about the simple observations I discover whilst cycling through lovely Wales.
I hope to offer you dear reader, cheerful reflections upon the days and miles I pedal, along with encouragement to get out and explore by bicycle yourself! Perhaps too, if I attempt a bit of amusing anecdotes along the way, I may invoke your readership as well. Thanks for stopping by... cheers, muse

Wednesday, 4 April 2012

Helluva day...

It wasn't the hardest 50 miles I've ridden, but it was the most dramatic. The first 20 miles or so lulled me into a comfortable ease as we followed NCN 47 through Sirhowy Country Park north to Hengoed. It was then across the viaduct and a short ride through Penalta Park to Trelewis for a break at Taff Bargoed Park.


It was after this that the boys truly showed their metal as we climbed the mountain from Trelewis over to Deri and Bargoed. If ya click on "view elevation" on the map below, you can see that at around mile 28 we began a climb of over 500 feet. That's a category 4 climb... for 2 MILES! And you know who was last... I even had to stop twice, but these little mountain goats didn't miss a beat.

After a brief stop we hopped back on our bikes for what we all presumed would be a leisurely ride down the other side into Deri. That was not to be the case because within 5 minutes it began to rain. Now if you haven't experienced riding a bicycle down 15% inclines in the pouring rain on a single lane road on the side of a mountain, I have a place for you to visit. (Sorry no pictures...)


they call this; "cowboy country"...

The boys take a break...

John contemplates the day...

Graham makes it to the top... "no problem".

A fine group of lads.
(Brian, John, Graham, and Ivor)



They call themselves the "Kingfishers". And a smarter man might have chosen to merely hear the story...  yesterday however, I naively took the bait to join these fine gentlemen on a leisurely ride through the country.


With Easter coming next week I get some time to recover, train, and prepare, so in a fortnight my friends... I shall see you again... and we will ride The Valleys of Wales.
Post a Comment

Ads Inside Post