Introduction

Welcome friends. This humble blog is about the simple observations I discover whilst cycling through lovely Wales.
I hope to offer you dear reader, cheerful reflections upon the days and miles I pedal, along with encouragement to get out and explore by bicycle yourself! Perhaps too, if I attempt a bit of amusing anecdotes along the way, I may invoke your readership as well. Thanks for stopping by... cheers, muse

Friday, 5 February 2010

Day 04 - Cardiff to South Cornelly

Thursday; August 27, 2009 - I started out on a clear and sleepy morning around 10 am and casually backtracked north along the river Taff. Following secluded bike trails through a variety of parks and small communities, I slowly made my way to the town of Pontypridd.




I arrived at Pontypridd around noon and the bike path lead me straight through the downtown shopping district which was closed to motor traffic. It was a busy morning and I had a relaxing lunch sitting on a bench watching the people mill about.


The down time proved to be a good thing because just as soon as I left Pontypridd, my path turned due west and I began to climb some VERY steep hills deep into the desolate country side.

The road at first looked very promising, but it quickly changed.

... and it got very cold and lonely.

... and I was far off in the country.

... and the paved road ended.

... and it began to rain.

... and there was nothing around.

... and it was very windy.

And despite a short break in the clouds as I headed down in the valley, the rain increased substantially. I made it to the campground (farm) outside South Cornelly by 4 pm completely soaked. Everything, every inch of me was absolutely sopping wet. The astonished owner waived the camping fee and guided me out to an open field with a porta-john and bid me farewell.

I set up my tent, spread out all of my wet gear inside, crawled into a wet sleeping bag, and fired up my stove under the fly as it thundered and poured rain outside. High praise again for the Triangia stove. It works wonderfully under a well vented fly. I cooked and ate all the soup I had (4 packs). In fact, I ate everything but 2 packets of oatmeal and one cookie bar for breakfast. I made coffee. I drank tea. I sat in my cold wet tent and tried to dry off as best I could for nearly five hours until I passed out.

(Note: see sidebar A Night to Remember)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note to Cartographer: Daily Mileage = 38.82 Total Mileage = 89.28
Post a Comment

Ads Inside Post