Introduction

Welcome friends. This humble blog is about the simple observations I discover whilst cycling through lovely Wales.
I hope to offer you dear reader, cheerful reflections upon the days and miles I pedal, along with encouragement to get out and explore by bicycle yourself! Perhaps too, if I attempt a bit of amusing anecdotes along the way, I may invoke your readership as well. Thanks for stopping by... cheers, muse

Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Day 02 - Newport to Cardiff

Tuesday; August 25, 2009 - Following a night of rain, I had a relaxing breakfast and leisurely start riding along a converted rail line.

This old train signal has been converted into a sculpture/way sign. Check out the crows... at first, I thought they were real.

Could I ask for a better path to ride? This trail lasted for about 5 miles... just meandering alongside a river.

Unfortunately, this shot is a little blurred... but then again, so was I as I headed through this narrow road into Caerphilly.


Riding from Newport to Cardiff is mostly flat or downhill. I had my first accident leaving Caerphilly trying to navigate through one of the metal gates they place to prevent motorcycles from entering the paths. I didn't have a chance to pull my feet loose from the toeclips and I went right over banging my knee quite hard. I'm sure I looked like an idiot and I distinctly remember making a cow-like sound as I went down.

Continuing on sore and humiliated and not long after I left the little village of Tongwynlais,  I was heading down a steep hill when my rear brake cable snapped! Wobbling and racing like a madman through narrow hedgerows, I finally came to a screeching sudden stop in a shrub. (Insert cow sounds.) Again I fell over, but this time on my other knee AND trying to catch myself I placed my hand at such a proper angle, I believe I broke a finger. Are you laughing with me?

Heading into Caerphilly, I came peddling around a curve in the middle of a little housing community and there before me... poking out from a mound in the center of town was Caerphilly Castle.

The tower on the far right is actually leaning more than the tower at Pisa, but unlike Pisa, the folks at Caerphilly Castle have no idea why it's still standing.

I dunno, I didn't figure I'd be riding right alongside castles. Yes that is the bike path.

This was taken from in front of the castle looking back at the town.

Most of my ride so far has been along small paths or converted rail lines that parallel streams or rivers. So long Caerphilly... hello Cardiff.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsolicited Product Plug: Triangia Cooking Stove

I used my new stove last night for the first time... a "Triangia". It worked marvelously boiling water in about 4 minutes. I was a little concerned that I hadn't tested it prior to leaving, but it had rave reviews and they were all well founded. (You can view a nice little demo from VideoJug above...) I highly recommend this stove.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note to Cartographer: Daily Mileage = 26.44 Total Mileage = 50.46
Post a Comment

Ads Inside Post